Coronavirus Update, 28th May 2021
- Summer 2021 programmes are paused and China programmes won’t be going ahead in July due to continued travel restrictions.
- All Gotoco’er offer holders for 2021 that have paid their deposits have two options:
- 1. Defer offer to winter or summer 2022 and join our Summer Global Career Launchpad online in July to complete a TEFL now and access well-paid online teaching opportunities. (Deferred places are valid until 31 December 2022 for both winter and summer programmes)
- 2. Withdraw from the programme and receive a deposit refund (click here); please note that if you withdraw then you will need to reapply for summer 2022 in the next academic year when places will be limited due to the high number of deferred offers.
- If travel restrictions are lifted in time for August and September programmes, then we will notify offer holders by 30 June 2021.
- Summer Global Career Launchpad running from 5-30 July online with a low time commitment for all offer holders that pay a deposit to defer their place to 2022:
- Earn a TEFL and access well-paid online teaching opportunities (£10-£30 per hour depending on experience)
- Get ready to join a Gotoco programme in China in 2022
- Learn skills and prepare for a global career after graduation
- Join a community of like-minded students and graduates, and receive continued support on your career journey
- Access jobs in China after graduation
- Learn about Chinese film, music, literature, art, travel, and more
- Applications are open for Sumer Global Career Launchpad and Summer 2022
Latest Update from the Gotoco Team
We are very sad to have to pause Gotoco programmes in China for summer 2021. With the pace of vaccinations, we were very hopeful that programmes would be able to go ahead in July and have been doing everything we can to make it possible, but unfortunately our two criteria for running the programmes have not been met: travel restrictions remain in place and quarantine periods are still very long in China.
The COVID pandemic is under control in China and life there returned to normal a long time ago, but the border remains closed to most international visitors. Our partners across the country are very sad that they can’t welcome you onto their summer programmes and can’t wait for the day that the border re-opens and they can meet you safely in China.
For that reason, we are deferring all offers for summer 2021 to winter and summer 2022. If you have paid your deposit, then you can join any of our programmes between now and 31 December 2022 as soon as travel restrictions are lifted.
We are also delighted to invite you to join our Summer Global Career Launchpad online in July. The course will give you an online TEFL qualification so that you can start earning by teaching online and save up for travel once travel restrictions are lifted. The course will also give you ideas and the tips and tricks you need to start a global career after graduation, as well as giving you the tools to work out what you’d like to do at the beginning of your career. The course is a low time commitment so that you can fit it around a fun and busy summer. Click here for more information and to confirm your place!
We’ve put together answers to your questions below so that you have all the information you need at this point. If you have any other questions, feel free to get in contact with us by email and we’d be happy to help.
We very much hope that you’re enjoying easing restrictions wherever you are, and that you and your loved ones are all keeping safe and well. We can’t wait to meet you at the Summer Global Career Launchpad!
Stay safe and enjoy the summer!
Richard, Lisha and Danny
How can I defer my place?
To defer your place, go to this page and fill in the form at the bottom to let us know if you would like to join the Summer Global Career Launchpad. Your place will then be confirmed until 31 December 2022, meaning that you’ll be able to join a winter programme in 2021/22 or join us in China in summer 2022.
How do I join the Summer Global Career Launchpad?
To join the Summer Global Career Launchpad, just go to this link.
Can I defer my place and not join the Summer Global Career Launchpad?
If you have paid your deposit, but are unable to join our online summer programme, you are able to defer your place, just go to this link and tick the appropriate box on the form at the bottom of the page.
However, the course is a low time commitment and gives you the opportunity to earn a TEFL certificate that you can use for well-paid online teaching opportunities around your studies, travel or work, so we highly recommend that you take part! You can complete the TEFL training at any point during the summer before 30 September 2021.
I haven’t paid my deposit, can I join the Summer Global Career Launchpad?
Yes! You will just need to pay your deposit to confirm your deferred place for summer 2022 and then you will be able to access the Summer Global Career Launchpad. You can do so on this link.
Is there any possibility of travel to China in August and September?
There is a small chance that travel restrictions will be lifted in time for August and September programmes. We remain ready to move quickly as soon as travel restrictions are eased to confirm programmes and process visas. If this happens, we will notify all offer holders, including those who have deferred their offer, and give you the opportunity to join an August or September programme. We will confirm if August programmes are possible by 30 June 2021.
How can I receive a deposit refund?
All deposits are fully protected in Paypal.
If you know you won’t be able to join us in China before 31 December 2022, then you can withdraw from the programme and receive your deposit refund by going to this link.
If you withdraw and later decide that you’d like to join us in China, then you will need to re-apply and we cannot guarantee that you will get a place due to the high number of people holding deferred offers. If you withdraw, you will also be unable to gain a TEFL qualification this year and will thus miss out on the online teaching opportunities.
I deferred my place from summer 2020 to 2021, what are my options now?
If you haven’t already completed the TEFL training, you now have the option to defer your place again to summer 2022 (valid for winter and summer programmes starting before 31 December 2022) and join the Summer Global Career Launchpad this July, or to request a deposit refund by clicking here.
If you completed the TEFL training last summer, then you are not eligible for a deposit refund, but you may still defer your place to 2022 and join the Summer Global Career Launchpad.
You can join the Summer Global Career Launchpad on this link.