How much money will I need for the summer?
Accommodation and meals are provided free of charge at your programme. Most added extras are also provided free of charge so your personal costs are kept to a minimum, including free
You will need to pay for your own flights, visa and travel within China but will receive meals and accommodation at the programmes. You will then only need money for extra food and drinks and activities outside the programme. For reference or for estimating cost of post-programme tourism, please find some prices of common items below (all prices are averages and vary depending on your location)
- one litre of Qingdao beer in a bar: C¥3-30
- a meal in a good restaurant: C¥30 yuan per dish
- snacks from street vendors: C¥5-10 per item
- a short taxi journey in most cities costs C¥15-25, journeys of an hour can cost C¥100
- accommodation in a dorm room in a normal backpacker hostel: C¥30-80
- an overnight journey of 10 hours or less on a train with a bed: under C¥200
*It is possible to have an interesting time travelling around China after our programmes on a shoestring budget of around 4000RMB/month
**At the time of writing C¥10 was equivalent to £1.10 or US$1.44
Other major costs include
flights: we are usually able to suggest cost savings and partnerships with Chinese travel agents that make it possible to get return flights to China from the UK for around £400-500, or from the USA for upwards of $800.
- visa costs vary by nationality based on diplomatic circumstances and reciprocal fee rates, this link takes you to the Chinese government’s official visa service centre site where you can find out more:
- British passport holders must pay £151 to the Chinese consular visa processing centre for a visa. We recommend visas are processed with the help of an agency, this is to ensure that forms are filled in correctly the first time to prevent extra expenses from visa rejections and time-delays (missed flights etc.) Currently we advise UK applicants to process with the help of UVSUK who offer well-reviewed services and offer a 50% discount for Gotoco applicants (£25 service fee+£8 postage)
We are not legally permitted to advise on vaccinations and travel/health insurance. It is up to you to research both and you are advised to take both seriously (please read through our FAQs for further information on both).
Once your programme is confirmed, you will be directed on how to buy flights and upload your arrival and departure information into a webform for the partner schools to view.