We are Gotoco (“We”) and we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. The goal of this Privacy Statement is to explain to you in plain language what personal information or other data we collect from you and why, how we handle and protect personal information, and how to exercise your privacy rights and choices.
This policy (and any other documents referred to on it) sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data, how we will treat it and the cookies that we use.
Your personal information is important to us
- We are committed to safeguarding personal privacy. We recognise that you have a right to control how your personal information is collected and used. Providing personal information is an act of trust that we take seriously. Unless given consent to do otherwise, we will only collect and use personal information as set out below.
- We refer to your ‘personal information’, which means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable whether the information or opinion is true or not and whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not. Your full name, mobile telephone number and email address contact details are examples of information which may constitute personal information. Personal information may also include information we may collect about your as part of our application process for placements in China.
Your right of access
- On a case by case basis we may determine that it is not required to give an individual access to personal information to the extent that it is lawful for Gotoco to do so. If such a determination is made then we will provide you with a written notice.
- Where you are seeking information held on electronic file, or where you are seeking hard copies of personal information, we reserve the right to charge reasonable handling/ postage fees as appropriate.
Changing and deleting the information we have about you
- In the same way, a request may be made to delete personal information, and all reasonable steps to delete the information will be made, except where it is required to be held for legal reasons. Deletion of information may result in us being unable to facilitate or provide you with information about certain transactions (including the uploading, access to, and receipt of content, and purchase transactions undertaken on a Website), other content, services or product information, upcoming promotion, competition and/or provide certain content, goods or services.
- All of our news updates are conducted through professional providers of newsletters (Mailchimp) and social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin etc), you will be able to unsubscribe from our updates on these services without contacting us.
- We are not responsible for removing your personal information from the lists of any third party who has previously been provided your information in accordance with this policy.
Information we collect from you
We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. This is information about you that you give us by filling in forms (e.g the Gotoco programme application forms, visa processing forms, deposit payment forms, etc) on our site. It also includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our updates and social media. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, along with information collected in the course of applying for our programmes. Where we collect financial and credit card information, we will ensure that it is only stored as long as is needed.
Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we will automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time), page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call us.
- information to include in internal incident reporting, as part of our health and safety management processes. E.g if a health and safety incident involved you directly or as a witness, we would need to include some identifiable information in our forms.
How we use your information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other services we offer that are similar to those that you have already taken part in, applied for or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous correspondence or sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please advise us;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to ;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Information we receive from other sources. We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
How we share your information
When you give consent we share your personal information with:
- Any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006.
- Selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you, including any third party payment providers;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we will disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us on our users will be one of the transferred assets.
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions of supply and other agreements or to protect the rights, property, or safety of company Limited, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Where we store and protect your personal data
- All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Any direct payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
- Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
- You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing at any time by contacting us.
- Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
- A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
- Affiliate tracking cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website and any subsequent purchases, they do not identify any individual. This information will be shared with our affiliate platform providers.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Except for essential cookies, all cookies will expire after 180 days.
Changes to this policy
Any changes we make to our privacy and cookies policy in the future will be posted on this page.